Gel Polish, or what most people are familiar with "shellac". The greatest invention in the nail industry- enjoy beautiful nails for up to two weeks without a chip or smudge. We all wear it and love it but when it comes down to removing the bulletproof polish, it can be a total nightmare. How on earth does it come off?!
Buffing. filing. saturating your nails in polish remover. searching your cupboard (or your husbands garage!) for anything that will dissolve the tough substance stuck your nails... nothing... this stuff really does stick!
Well here is the trick to removing gel polish and keeping your beautiful long nails healthy.
Firstly you will need:
- aluminum foil (rip 10 4"X4" squares- 1 for each nail)
- cotton balls* (rip pieces about the size of a dime or enough to cover your nail plate)
- PURE acetone (not your regular polish remover)
- light buffer
-orange wood stick or cuticle pusher
1. lightly buff the top layer of the gel polish (remove the shine). This allows the acetone to penetrate and work more effectively.
2. take a piece of cotton and saturate it in acetone the place it on your nail.
3. put a piece of foil under your finger and wrap around your nail (to hold the cotton piece in place)
4. repeat this for all 10 fingers. (or do one hand at a time if it is easier).
5. let the acetone penetrate for 8-10 minutes.
6. use your orange wood stick or cuticle pusher to gently scrap off the remaining product. (do not be alarmed if your nails/ skin appears white. acetone is drying but nails can be re hydrated after)
7. when all nails are done- put cuticle oil on each nail and around the cuticle. massage it in and allow it to penetrate!
*you do not need a large piece of cotton on your nails. The acetone ends up sucking back into the cotton ball instead of saturating your nail plate. You also end up wasting product!
Removing gel polish properly will keep nails healthy. Peeling the gel off will result in nail damage- weakening and damaging the natural nail.
It is up to you whether you continue applying gel polish or if you choose to "take a break".
For any further questions, dont hesitate to send us an email at email@example.com or call us at 705 531 3800.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
The Bliss girls